Happy Friday. Girl Scout cookie season is here and they’re introducing new cookies called Adventurefuls that have appeared in at least 10 of my dreams.
credit: girl scouts
In Case You Missed It.
👨🏻⚖️ The U.S. Supreme Court blocked President Biden’s vaccine-or-test mandate for large employers Thursday. But most health care workers in the country have to get the shot, so Biden’s still got one mandate left standing.
🇷🇺 Russia began its withdrawal from Kazakhstan Thursday, to be completed by January 19.
🎾 Novak Djokovic had his visa canceled a second time this morning. Australia’s immigration minister, Alex Hawke, said in a statement that he was canceling Djokovic’s visa on the grounds of “health and good order,” adding that it was in the public interest to do so. The Australian Open is just three days away.
🛑 U.S. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy is refusing to cooperate with the January 6 committee.
⚖️ The Oath Keepers leader, Stewart Rhodes, was charged with seditious conspiracy for his role in organzing a wide-ranging plot to storm the Capitol on Jan. 6th with 10 other people. It carries a maximum of sentence of 20 years in prison.
🤴🏻 Now that the sexual abuse lawsuit against Prince Andrew is proceeding, he has been stripped of his military titles and charities. So maybe that should just be “Andrew.”
🇺🇦 Talks between Russia and the U.S. ended with a whimper Thursday and tens of thousands of Russian troops are stacked up on the border to Ukraine.
🗳 The U.S. House passed the Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act with zero Republicans voting yay. The package now heads to the Senate for where it will hit a large Kyrsten Sinema sized wall.
Coronavirus Update: 😷 Total confirmed global cases as of 9:15 p.m. ET on Thursday: 319,871,018— Total deaths: 5,520,191 — Total vaccine doses administered: 9,552,790,916 — Map
- President Biden announced Thursday that people in the U.S. will soon have access to free “high-quality masks” in addition to 500 million extra free at-home Covid tests available on the website. (Coming soon!)
- Quebec will reopen schools and colleges Monday, and there is a rumor the curfew in the province will also be lifted that day.
- A U.S. CDC study found that omicron is 91% less likely to result in death than delta.
- Omicron cases in the U.K. are dropping and a model from the University of Washington predicts the U.S. will follow, hitting its peak by January 19.
- A study out of Scotland found that pregnant people really should get vaccinated.