Candy maker Mars announced Thursday that M&M characters are getting a revamp. The company wants the characters to better reflect a “more dynamic, progressive world.”
Keeping in mind that this is all advertising, which means motives are anything but pure, the new M&Ms will be better (and less-gendered) friends.
- The green M&M will lose her go-go boots for “cool, laid-back sneakers to reflect her effortless confidence.”
- Brown and Green will be a lot friendlier than in some previous advertisements, and Brown’s heels won’t be so high.
- Orange is embracing his anxious nature by tying his shoes.
- Red will bully no more, embracing his M&M community and friends. His shoes now have laces, as do Yellow’s.
- Blue’s shoes now kind of look like Uggs.
(Shoes are a big part of this, since there isn’t much else to each character.)
All prefixes will also disappear and there will be M&Ms in different shapes and sizes. This is a clear push to speak to a new generation that loves to speak (see above), but will Gen Z buy it?